Viburnum is a shrub with red berries and white inflorescences that are popular in folk and traditional medicine. The secret of the demand for berries is in the presence of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants necessary for a healthy lifestyle.
The beneficial properties of viburnum have been carefully studied at the world level; studies have shown that the constant use of this berry reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases, problems with the gastrointestinal tract and other diseases. Viburnum berries prevent the occurrence of cancers and fight possible complications when carrying babies.
Last Updated: October 3, 2022 (A few hours ago…)
There are contraindications, a specialist consultation is required
Useful properties of viburnum
There are six scientifically proven facts about the benefits of viburnum.
- Perfect composition. Despite the fact that it is a low-calorie food, it is quite rich in vitamins and minerals. It also contains a lot of tannins, essential oils, phytoncides, pectin, iodine. By the presence of iron, which is vital for blood formation, it is compared with the fruits of blueberries and rose hips.
- Antioxidant effect. Viburnum contains a large amount of antioxidants that block the influence of free radicals at the cellular level. Due to free radicals, malignant formations arise, diseases develop in the endocrine system, and early aging of the skin and the body as a whole occurs.
- Lowering blood pressure. Back in 1972, scientists discovered the ability of viburnum to naturally expand arterial vessels by relaxing smooth muscles. It is worth considering that the berry has a weak hypotensive effect and can be used for prevention in the early stages of the development of hypertension.
- Fighting cancer. An important beneficial property of red viburnum is a pronounced effect on the growth of tumors, especially cancerous ones. During the experiments, it was found that its components not only suppress the occurrence of dangerous neoplasms, but even lead to their death. Kalina is allowed to be used together with medicines, since the berry enhances their medicinal properties and reduces the harm from drug treatment.
- Benefits for women. Another healing property of viburnum for endometriosis, cysts, dysmenoria, which often bother women: the berry effectively “works” for problems with the menstrual cycle. Therefore, it is recommended in minimal doses for pregnant women: it helps to cope with severe toxicological manifestations, protects against miscarriage both at an early and late stage. Plus viburnum reduces blood pressure and minimizes the risk of eclampsia. With its help, the expectant mother can strengthen not only her immunity, but also the child. Before using a pregnant woman, be sure to consult with an observing gynecologist.
- Increased hemoglobin. The unique ability of this miracle berry is that it is able to increase the number of red blood cells, thereby increasing the level of hemoglobin in the blood. For people suffering from anemia, doctors recommend taking viburnum in different forms.
Composition and calorie content of berries
In 100 grams of the product, there are only 26 calories – this is a very low indicator, which means that it is impossible to increase weight with viburnum berries. They contain essential vitamins A, B5, B9, C, and they also contain a lot of vitamin K: 98 percent of the daily dose. Plus they contain a lot of calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, iron and manganese.
In addition, medicinal viburnum is rich in polyphenolic compounds, which are known for their antioxidant activity, so the berries are advised to be used for the prevention of most chronic heart and vascular diseases. The specific sour taste of viburnum juice is due to the presence of formic, oleic and acetic acids in the composition. The seeds of the berries themselves, often called seeds, are rich in fatty oils, which also have a slightly bitter aftertaste.
The healing properties of viburnum
Healers and healers have known the beneficial properties of red viburnum for a long time. Their recipes for tinctures and compresses have come down to us thanks to numerous medical books of antiquity. So, for example, the bark of this shrub was soaked and insisted to create medicines that had healing powers for diseases of the liver and kidneys, complaints about the gastrointestinal tract, with suffocation, and were also used as an antispasmodic agent.
Broths were considered a natural antibiotic that can have anti-inflammatory and antipyretic effects. This is a truly proven folk remedy in the fight against colds and infectious diseases. It helps with chest coughs, hoarseness, high body temperature.
Indeed, this berry has various beneficial properties, including:
- anti-inflammatory, antipyretic effect;
- sedative, calming effect;
- tonic, tonic effect;
- wound healing, hemostatic, antiseptic effect;
- increased appetite;
- antiviral, antispasmodic effect.
Viburnum in traditional medicine
Berries are used to treat edema, hypertensive pathologies, neuroses, anacid gastritis, as well as respiratory and skin diseases. Dermatologists and cosmetologists use freshly squeezed juice against acne, pimples, pigmentation on the face, for the treatment of wounds and eczema. In traditional medicine, fruits are widely used as a tonic, health-improving agent. Berries have shown themselves well in the fight against skin flaws – boils, abscesses, eczema.
Compresses of juice should be put on problem areas for 1-2 hours. After two weeks, it is important to take a break for seven days, then repeat the procedure. For a successful and sustained result, it may take from two to four courses. With eczema, drinking half a liter of pure juice daily also helps. It is not for nothing that preparations with viburnum extract are prescribed to patients all over the world.
Kalina in folk medicine
Since the berries remain fresh for a long time, if they are frozen, the people are stocked up with them in advance. Thanks to freezing, the bitterness of the berries decreases, but the benefits remain. Also in folk medicine they are consumed dried, which contributes to the contraction of the muscles of the heart, an increase in urine output. The benefits of tincture of viburnum flowers are also widely known; it is used internally as an antipyretic. It is recommended for men as an active aid in the painless functioning of the reproductive and excretory systems.
- Recipe for colds: take 100 g of berries, lemon, a handful of nuts, grind everything, add a spoonful of honey, take three times a day.
- Recipe for coughing: pour boiling water over 100 g of berries, when the berries cool, add honey to taste. It is allowed to use it 2-3 times a day.
- Recipe for heart pains: boil 3-4 tablespoons of fruits in one glass of boiled water, after four hours you need to pass the broth through a strainer. You can drink it three times a day.
- Recipe for stones in the bladder: Swallow one bone at a time up to 15 times a day.
- Recipe at high temperature: boil 10 g of bark in a glass of water, leave to infuse for two hours. It is allowed to drink twice a day.
- Recipe for hypertension: rub the softened berries, add buckwheat honey. The course is 2-3 weeks, after a two-week break it can be repeated.
In oriental medicine
In the medicine of eastern countries, in particular Chinese, they use not only berries, but also bush leaves for laxative and emetic effects. In addition, many doctors in the East prescribe fruits and juice to people with cancer who are undergoing chemotherapy. Their regular use opens the pores, thereby facilitating the elimination of toxins and toxins, which improves blood flow.
In the East, red viburnum is added to many cosmetics, especially often it is included in shampoos, masks and face lotions. After all, the berry has an antiseptic, drying effect, so at home owners of oily, problem skin can wipe their face with viburnum juice.
Scientific research on the benefits of viburnum
The medicinal properties of red viburnum have been comprehensively studied. Here is just a small list of works:
- Under the authorship of Sprygin V.G., Kushnerova N.F., Fomenko S.E., an article was published on the stress-protective characteristics of fruits in stimulating metabolism in fat metabolism of the liver.
- The scientific work of Tsekhina N.N., Khasyanova N.G., Orekhova S.V. proves the antioxidant effect of viburnum on the body as a whole.
- Two species of viburnum were subjected to deep phytoanalysis by S. M. Ilyasova, who wrote a dissertation on this topic.
- The traditional use of viburnum in the fight against kidney stones has been proven in a scientific article by the authors Ilkhan M., Ergen B., Suntar I.
- The assessment of agromorphogenetic, biochemical and bioactive indicators of the effect of the berry on the body was led by scientists Ersoy N., Ersisli S. and Gundogdu M.
The use of viburnum berries in dietetics
The medicinal benefits and harms of viburnum have been studied by foreign nutritionists, who consider it one of the best solutions for cleansing and toning the body. Kalina is advised to be used for fasting days: for this, viburnum juice is added to clean still water and honey is added. In addition, diets have been developed on its basis.
Watermelon-viburnum diet for weight loss
During the day, you need to consume 2 kg of watermelons and 200 g of fresh viburnum berries. You can drink freshly squeezed watermelon juice, it is allowed to divide the total amount into 5-6 doses. This is very effective because watermelon juice contains the antioxidant lycopene, which makes watermelon an important part of this diet for obesity.
Kalina diet for cleansing and recovery
It is recommended to adhere to the following diet for three days and evaluate all the dietary properties of viburnum:
- For breakfast – any porridge or compote from viburnum. For lunch – vegetable soup, and for dessert – banana and berries. For an afternoon snack – a whole grain bun without yeast and a couple of spoons of berry jam. For dinner – vegetable stew and viburnum tea.
- For breakfast – some oatmeal cookies and viburnum berries. For lunch – bean soup with bran bread, and for dessert – tea with viburnum and honey. For an afternoon snack – nuts and viburnum jam. For dinner – steamed vegetables and viburnum tea.
- For breakfast – cereal bread and viburnum compote. For lunch – porridge with viburnum berries, and for dessert – apricot nectar. For an afternoon snack – avocado, some berries. For dinner – vegetable casserole and viburnum tea.
Since viburnum is distinguished by a high content of vitamins and nutrients, this diet perfectly tones the body and starts all life processes.
The use of viburnum in cooking
How many tasty, healthy, and sometimes vital things can be prepared from its berries. For the first acquaintance with the healing properties of viburnum, it is worth starting to use it fresh, as a slightly sour dessert for tea, or add it to porridge. By the way, it can be enjoyed all year round, just buy it or harvest it and put it in the freezer. You can also dry it or dry it, squeeze out juice, make jam, jam, marshmallow out of it.
The aroma is magical, it has been in the air for more than one day, it seems to many that it is the smell of apples and valerian grass. In nature, there are various varieties of viburnum, the fruits have a wide variety of shades – from bright burgundy to dark purple. Here are some proven recipes for everyday use or for storage throughout the year in large volumes:
- Sauce: Take equal servings of berries and sugar. Pour boiling water over the berries, rub, separate the resulting mass from the seeds, rubbing it through a strainer. Pour sugar into the resulting mass, heat the mixture a little in a water bath. Do not bring to a boil, just wait for the sugar to dissolve. This sauce is great with oven-baked vegetables!
- A la viburnum coffee drink: dried seeds of berries are fried in a dry frying pan until they become coffee-colored. Then grind them, pour them into an airtight glass jar. One spoonful for a glass of hot water is enough. This drink is not only tasty, but also tones up for the whole day, even better than coffee.
- Syrup: you need 350 g of berries, sugar – 350 g, water – 200 ml. To get rid of unpleasant bitterness, send the berries to the freezer for a day, grind them into “porridge”, add sugar, boil. Done, you can pour ice cream or other desserts on it. This syrup has a spicy, sweet and sour taste, will protect from colds, support the heart and blood vessels.
- Viburnum jam: since its seeds contain many useful substances, it is better to prepare jam with seeds. You just need to add sugar in equal proportions, an orange grated on a grater, and a fragrant, unforgettable jam is ready.
- Compote with apple slices: take 200 g of viburnum, 400 g of apples, 2 liters of water, 1.5 cups of sugar. Pour boiling water over the berries for 10 minutes. Cut the apples into wedges. Cook for no more than 7-8 minutes. Pour in sugar, wait for it to dissolve. Chill and enjoy the benefits of the drink.
- Cabbage and viburnum berry salad: chop 100 g of white cabbage, crush and salt. Add berries (fresh or frozen). we pick from the branch. We treat ourselves to a colorful and mega-useful salad.
- Morse: grind the berries into a “gruel”, pour boiling water. When the fruit drink has cooled to room temperature, drain.
- Viburnum with orange: defrost berries, chop with fruit, mix with sugar, wait 20 minutes until sugar dissolves, then transfer to jars.
Berries are also used in baking: the famous “Kalinniki” – pies, pies and flat cakes stuffed with viburnum fruits. People leading a healthy lifestyle will appreciate viburnum tea, widely known for its strengthening effect, especially in the autumn-winter period, when colds are aggravated. Make one cake, roll or sweet envelopes from this healthy and tasty berry, and you will definitely become its ardent fan. After all, its benefits have been known for a long time, and daily warm tea with viburnum was the best medicine for colds.
Viburnum dishes and drinks are very popular in the autumn-winter season, when they are used to strengthen the immune system or for treatment. This berry has a very rich taste and characteristic smell that cannot be confused with anything else. Try it!
Dangerous properties of viburnum and contraindications
Despite the benefits, there are certain dangerous properties of these berries. In particular, viburnum has contraindications, because the components of the plant may not be suitable for everyone.
Before using berries as a remedy, you need to be careful for people with the following diseases:
- liver and kidney diseases;
- gastritis, ulcers;
- arterial hypotension;
- allergies (for example, to high levels of vitamin C);
- excessive production of gastric juice,
- blood diseases (for example, high blood clotting, thrombosis).
Also, significant harm to viburnum can be felt by pregnant women, since the berries contain many components that are identical to female hormones. Their increase in the female bloodstream can adversely affect the developing fetus. In severe cases, the composition of viburnum can lead to miscarriage.
How to choose viburnum berries
Modern gardeners are divided into two camps: some believe that it is necessary to pick berries immediately after they have become red, without greenery and unnatural specks, while the latter are guided by the time of collection – after the first frost. Then bitterness disappears, sweetness appears with a slight tart note and a drop of bitterness.
When buying or picking, we recommend that you look at the color of the berries: they should have a brightly saturated red hue, no pink reflections. Breathe in the aroma of the berry, it should be sour and sweet, with a slightly tart aroma. You need to collect or buy after frost, when it loses its bitterness. Plus, berries harvested after frost accumulate more useful micro and macro elements than during harvest before the temperature outside drops.
How to store Viburnum
Someone thinks that for long-term storage of berries they must be cut off from the brushes. However, this is the wrong approach, the twigs can be stored in their entirety. It is necessary to store viburnum in loosely closed containers. You can also dry the berries by simply hanging them in the kitchen. At the same time, the benefits of viburnum are not lost, and the decorative effect in the room is enhanced.
The product will not deteriorate and will not lose its beneficial properties, even after several months it retains trace elements in proper form. When you cannot store berries in low temperature conditions, it is best to cook them. In particular, make jam, compote according to the recipes above. Viburnum berries easily tolerate even critical frosts, because in nature they winter outdoors, which means they can be stored in the freezer for a long time.