Office Exercises: 30 Desk Exercises at Work | desk workouts at work: The sedentary image has long become a companion of the modern person. We spend most of the day sitting at the computer at work, sometimes spending 9-10 hours in front of the monitor screen. Returning home, many again strive for laptops and tablets. The past 2020 has put many people at a distance, thereby increasing the load on our eyes and almost halving our mobility.
Yoga will help to correct the situation and relieve tension from the muscles associated with prolonged sitting at the computer. Of course, the exercises described below from the arsenal of ancient practice will not replace regular exercise but will help a person to relieve tension in the body and give the muscles the minimum necessary tone.
General guidelines for people with a sedentary lifestyle
First of all, it is necessary to highlight a number of general recommendations for those who spend long periods of time in front of a monitor or TV.
- More movement. If you do not have the opportunity to carry out a full warm-up at your desk, this is not a reason to be upset. You can get up and walk down the hallway if it’s an office. Today, “smartwatches” are gaining popularity, which records the distance traveled by you. Some doctors talk about the need to walk at least ten thousand steps a day, others are sure that this is an advertising move for the sale of notorious gadgets, whether it is or not is a topic for another conversation.
- If you do not have the opportunity to practice yoga or exercise regularly, you can always walk a couple of bus stops, go down and up the stairs. Compete with yourself every day, challenge yourself, strive every day to go a greater distance. Take long walks on weekends and holidays. For those,
- Take regular breaks. Alternate between work and rest. Probably, many of your colleagues run for a “smoke break”, you can take an example from them, but you should not grab a cigarette. When your coworkers go for a smoke break again, walk down the hallway or do some exercise.
- Watch your posture. Sitting at your desk, do not slouch your back – this will only make it more tired. Try to constantly monitor this process, remember that a person with a straight back commands respect from colleagues and management: by his appearance he radiates confidence and strength.
- Inspect your workplace. It is important that your workplace is well lit so your eyes will be less tired; your office furniture must be in good working order; Adjust the chair in height so that your feet are completely on the floor and the knee angle is 90 degrees. Keep your hands so that your elbows remain at table level. The back of the chair should support your spine and your lower back should be completely flat against the chair. The monitor should be positioned at eye level.
- Weight control. Being overweight is an additional load on the spine. Eat a balanced diet and eat more fruits and vegetables. Remember that a person with a sedentary lifestyle spends less energy, which means that buns and chocolates can be deposited in the form of extra pounds in the body, which will further complicate life for you and your body.
Exercises to relieve fatigue at the computer
Often from a modern person you can hear: “Tired of the computer.” Someone will say that sitting at the monitor is not tossing bags, but it will be wrong: already now, diseases associated with a sedentary lifestyle and working at a computer are being identified and diagnosed. The constant static load on the spine and the effect of the monitor on the eyes deprive a person of the most valuable thing – health.
If you spend the whole day in front of the monitor screen, and by the evening you are overcome by fatigue, then the set of exercises below for relieving fatigue will help relieve tension. The proposed exercises are not difficult, but effective, the main thing is to do them regularly.
- Without getting up from a chair, put your hands behind your head and put them in the lock, take a breath and bend back several times while inhaling.
- Slowly raise and then lower your shoulders. Repeat 6-8 times.
- Roll your head left and right. Repeat several times.
- Get out of the chair and stretch your whole body up.
- Make some dynamic side bends.
- Join your hands in a lock-in front of you and stretch forward.
- Make a few bends forward.
- Look at the object closest to you, and then suddenly shift your gaze to the farthest. This will relieve eye fatigue.
Such a simple complex for relieving fatigue can be performed every 2-3 hours, it will help you release tension and restore muscle tone.
Exercises for the head and neck
The complex for relieving fatigue described above is of a general nature. But what about those who have a numb neck or dazzle from the monitor? For you, we have selected the most effective exercises for relieving fatigue from problem areas, they are of a more targeted nature and will be an excellent addition to the above set of exercises at the computer.
First of all, I would like to note that regular neck warming promotes blood flow to the brain, due to which the headache, which is a frequent companion of those who lead a sedentary lifestyle, decreases or disappears altogether.
Neck exercises can be performed while standing at a work table or sitting, it is important that the back is straight.
- Slow circular rotations of the head, first clockwise and then counterclockwise. Repeat 3-4 times in each direction.
- Head tilts to the right and left. We carry out the exercise slowly, at least 10 times in each direction.
- Exercise “Yes-No”. We tilt the head forward and backward as if we were saying “yes”, trying to touch the chest with our chin. We do at least 10 repetitions (tilting the head forward and backward is equivalent to one repetition). Then we slowly rotate our head from side to side, as if we are saying “no”, we perform the movements smoothly, we strive to look over our shoulder. Repeat, like the previous exercise, you need to at least 10 times. During all neck exercises, the shoulders remain stationary.
Exercises for the hands
Let’s supplement the set of exercises for those working at the computer with exercises for the hands, which includes:
- Slow circular movements with the hands, first clockwise and then counterclockwise. You need to make at least 10 rotations in each direction.
- Squeeze and unclench the brushes into fists. You need to make movements dynamically, at least 15 times.
- Hands clenched into fists should also be rotated clockwise. Remember to repeat in the opposite direction. The number of rotations is the same as in the exercise
We also recommend that you include several circular rotations in the shoulders in the set of exercises on the computer. Make several smooth circular rotations in the shoulder joints, first forward and then backward. It is also helpful to raise and lower your shoulders as if shaking them. Do 6-8 reps for each exercise.
Exercises for the trunk help fight fatigue when working at a computer: without getting up from a chair, make several turns of the pelvis to the right and left, while the shoulders remain motionless, also, if possible, make several circular rotations of the trunk, first in one direction and then in the other direction.
A set of exercises for the eyes
Do each of the proposed exercises 5-6 times. Do not bring your eyes to fatigue, do the complex regularly, this can help you preserve your eyesight while constantly working at the monitor.
A small set of eye exercises at the computer should become obligatory for you.
- Blink your eyes for one and a half minutes. This will relieve the tension from your eyes.
- Open and close your eyes slowly. Each action should take about 5 seconds.
- Close your eyes and press lightly on your eyelids.
- Move your gaze from side to side.
- Look with your eyes first up, then down.
- Make circular rotations with your eyes, first in one direction, then in the other.
- Direct your gaze to the tip of your nose.
- Try to “draw” with your eyes the sign of infinity, first in one direction, and then in the opposite direction.
- Focus your gaze on an object that lies next to you, then move your gaze to an object that is at a distance from you.
- Draw a square or rectangle with your eyes.
Complex for relieving fatigue at the computer
Despite the fact that the proposed exercises are extremely effective in combating fatigue in the workplace, it is necessary to make your regular practice a simple set of exercises after working at the computer. For those who sit at the computer for a long time, we have selected a few simple yoga asanas.
In order to remove the consequences of long sedentary work and supply the brain with blood, you should pay attention to Prasarit Padottanasana. To perform it, you need to stand up straight, put your feet wider than your shoulders, with an exhale, bend forward and try to touch the floor with your hands. Stay in the asana for a comfortable time.
Mandatory for you should be Downward Dog Pose, or Adho Mukha Svanasana . The asana strengthens the wrists weakened from keyboard work and prevents depression (a common companion for office workers). On all fours, lift your pelvis forward and up. Try to keep your heels flat on the floor.
Do not ignore such a seemingly simple asana as Mountain Pose, or Tadasana . It will help you maintain your posture. Stand up straight, put your feet together, lower your arms along your body. Distribute your body weight evenly and stand for a minute or two, lengthening your inhalation and exhalation.
Vrikshasana , or Tree Pose, will help maintain a sense of balance . From a mountain position, bend one leg at the knee and, pulling your foot up, place it on the inside of the thigh of the other leg. Look at a stationary object. Repeat with the other leg.
Be sure to add bridges to your practice: thanks to them, you can reduce the effects of sitting with a hunched back. Start with simple options, for example, with Setu Bandha Sarvangasana: lie on the floor, bend your knees, place your feet next to your buttocks, as you exhale, lift your pelvis so that your back rises above the floor, and you rest only on your shoulders, raise your hands up and connect in lock.
Let this small set of asanas be your starting point in the world of yoga . Do them regularly and you will feel the positive effects of yoga on your body. Fatigue and blues will pass, the muscles will be filled with strength, and a desire will awaken in you to make the practice longer and deeper.