Motherwort is also called “Heart herb”. Outwardly, motherwort is a bit like nettle, with pointed leaves and spike-shaped flowers of a pinkish-lilac color. It looks like a nondescript plant that does not possess special beauty and attractiveness, but it is fraught with tremendous benefits for the human body.
Last Updated: January 20, 2022 (A few hours ago…)
This perennial herb has several species of the motherwort family and grows mainly on wastelands (hence the name), in ravines, along river banks, in fields and meadows, sometimes along roadways, as well as on cultivated household plots, but more degrees in specializing in the cultivation of medicinal herbs. This plant is mainly found in the European part of Russia, as well as in the Caucasus, western Siberia. Almost all parts of the plant are medicinal – leaves, flowers, stem.
Common motherwort enjoys due respect not only on the territory of our vast Russia, it is also successfully used in getting rid of various kinds of diseases by European, Indian and Chinese healers. In ancient China, folk healers used this plant to prolong life.
There are contraindications, a specialist consultation is required
Motherwort ordinary: medicinal properties and contraindications
Thanks to its high content of essential oils, which have a relaxing effect on the central nervous system, motherwort is soothing. This herb is mainly used as a sedative.
The medicinal properties of motherwort are similar to the medicinal effects of Valerian officinalis and are mainly aimed at obtaining certain effects in order to heal the human body with various kinds of neurasthenic diseases.
Why motherwort is useful:
- Provides positive results in the elimination of hysterical seizures.
- Increases resistance to stress.
- Reduces irritation.
- Relieves attacks of neurasthenia, increased nervous excitability, emotional tension.
- Strengthens and soothes sleep, eliminates insomnia and gradually brings the onset of natural sleep to a normal state.
- Reduces muscle spasms.
- Calms the nervous system as a whole.
- Eliminates the general state of anxiety, fear, tension.
But these are not all the healing properties that the common motherwort possesses. Due to its rich composition, which includes essential oils, vitamin A, organic acids, glycosides and much more, this medicinal plant is successfully and effectively used to obtain other results important for human health.
Additional benefits that motherwort has on the body:
- It has a beneficial effect on the work of the gastrointestinal tract, relieves spasms of the smooth muscles of the gastrointestinal tract, improves the digestion process.
- Gently relieves disorders of the gastrointestinal tract, inflammation of the large intestine.
- Relieves flatulence, facilitates the removal of gases from the intestines.
- Gently normalizes high blood pressure.
- It has a mild diuretic effect.
- Relieves cramps from headaches and menstrual pain.
- It has an antibacterial, anti-inflammatory effect, which helps to restore the integrity of the skin, heal burns, cuts, wounds and ulcers, and relieves skin inflammation.
- Stops the development of vascular dystonia.
- Reduces rush of blood to the head in women during menopause.
- Relieves coughing attacks, shortness of breath with bronchitis, asthma.
- Stimulates the immune system.
- Improves the coronary blood supply to the myocardium, which prevents the manifestation of coronary heart disease.
- Eliminates spasms and functional disorders of the cardiovascular system, normalizing the work of the heart as a whole, leads to a normal heart rate, increases the strength of heart contractions.
- It is effective in treating thyroid diseases.
Contraindications to the use of motherwort
Although no cases of motherwort overdose or poisoning have been identified, it should be used only in consultation with the attending specialist doctor. Like all herbs used in herbal medicine, this plant, having an extensive chemical composition, can have not only a positive effect in healing the body, but also cause harm if used uncontrollably.
Therefore, an individual approach and attention to existing personal diseases should be applied for each person.
In addition, motherwort should not be used in the following cases:
- Children under 12 years of age
- Individual intolerance and hypersensitivity
- Bradycardia (slow heartbeat)
- Arterial hypotension
- Stomach ulcer and erosive gastritis
- Individual intolerance
Motherwort ordinary, although it has positive effects in the treatment of ailments, but, like many plants, requires attention when using it, as it can cause undesirable manifestations, namely:
- an allergic reaction (extremely rare)
- decreased performance
In these cases, taking motherwort ordinary should be either completely stopped or the dosage reduced. But this can only be recommended by a specialist attending physician at a personal consultation, taking into account personal diseases.
It is important to know that this medicinal plant has a significant effect on human reaction, reducing concentration and psychomotor reaction speed, therefore, requires careful use when performing hazardous activities, for example, when working with moving mechanisms, when driving vehicles and other vehicles.
Motherwort ordinary: folk recipes for making infusions
There are generally accepted norms for the preparation of medicinal tincture from motherwort:
2 tablespoons of dry raw materials are poured into a thermos, 200 milliliters of hot water is poured, tightly closed with a lid and infused for 60 minutes. Then the liquid is filtered, the raw materials are thrown away, and the resulting infusion is taken in 1/2 cup of warm infusion 3 times a day for an hour, before eating. Since the infusion gives a slight sediment, it should be slightly shaken before use. The usual course of treatment is 2-4 weeks, unless this is contrary to the prescription of your healthcare professional.
When interacting with other medicinal herbs, such as Valerian officinalis, peppermint, motherwort can enhance the effect of sedative, hypnotic and antispasmodic effects.
For skin diseases, an infusion is made from motherwort, only more concentrated (with a large addition of dry raw materials) and applied to the affected areas on the skin, since it effectively relieves inflammatory processes.
We draw your attention to the fact that it is advisable to eliminate any problematic at three levels: physical, energetic and spiritual. The recipes contained in the article are not a guarantee of recovery. The information provided (based on the experience of traditional and modern medicine on the multifaceted action of herbal remedies) should be considered as helpful, but not as a guarantee. Consult with a specialist (doctor) beforehand.