Enemas: The release and cleansing of the human body from harmful toxins, harmful toxins, and other unhealthy components can be done in several ways. One of the effective and effective options is an enema. Using a medium or deep intestinal lavage by introducing a special aqueous composition through the rectum, you can reliably get rid of harmful elements that interfere with maintaining the health of the body.
Also, an enema is a reliable means of “ambulance” for poisoning and allergies (you need to consult a doctor). But to use this method, it is important to be able to do an enema yourself. While this is a very simple process, there is a lot to learn. After all, the procedure should not cause discomfort and pain. It is important to get the maximum benefit from this manipulation for the body.
How to do an enema at home yourself?
So, it was decided to try to independently use the method of cleansing the intestines with an enema? Then it is important to consider several important points. Before doing an enema at home, you should read several times about the intricacies of this process, carefully approach the choice of an instrument and study the rules for preparing an aqueous solution.
But the main thing that you should pay attention to first of all is the study of contraindications. If you have at least one good reason to refuse the procedure, it is better to do it. By and large, all contraindications are temporary (almost always, but it must be clarified) in nature. Therefore, it is better to wait for the onset of a favorable moment.
Contraindications for an enema at home
Enema at home should be carried out only in the absence of the following items:
- hyperthermia of the body (from 37 and above);
- high/low, unstable blood pressure;
- acute, subacute ailments of the intestines and rectum;
- gastrointestinal disorders;
- period of gestation, lactation, menstruation in women;
- abdominal pain, nausea, dizziness;
- recent heart attacks, strokes;
- renal, hepatic insufficiency.
Before doing an enema at home, it is important to make sure that you feel normal and that none of the above points correspond to your reality. If there are serious doubts about the admissibility of the procedure at a particular moment, it is worth consulting with a specialist.
An enema at home is carried out using a special medical device, which is called the “Esmarch circle”. This is an enema with a fairly large vessel that can be hung up (this makes it easier to set up an enema at home without the help of specialists). Puzzled by the choice of Esmarch’s mug, it is worth considering options with a transparent plastic tube.
The fact is that this version of the enema allows you to control the process of supplying fluid in a given direction. It is also important to pay attention to the presence of a special tip. This part must be of the correct anatomical shape, which will greatly simplify the procedure and ensure comfortable insertion. For deep bowel lavage, Esmarch’s mug, equipped with an additional rubber tip, is useful.
Once you have chosen an acceptable version of the Esmarch mug, decide on the preparation of the solution.
You can buy Esmarch’s mug at any pharmacy. This item is sold without a special prescription.
Volume and quality of enema fluid
The release of the intestines with an enema is carried out with clean water with the addition of salt (1-2 tablespoons per 1 liter) or herbal decoctions, soda solution. The concentration of the solution, the presence or absence of additional components depends on the purposes for which the enema is performed. Colon cleansing is usually done with a saline solution.
The liquid for administering an enema at home should have a temperature close to that characteristic of the human body, but slightly below this indicator. That is, an enema at home is done using a liquid temperature of 27–35 degrees Celsius. Too cold or too hot liquid will cause discomfort and may cause pain.
When using a liquid of elevated temperature (37–40 degrees), it will be possible to relax the muscles of the intestine. An enema for constipation is done using a solution of water and salt at a temperature of 22–25 degrees.
The volume of liquid is calculated taking into account body weight. Usually it is from 1 to 2 liters. If a person’s weight is within 70–80 kilograms, it is enough to take 1.2–1.5 liters of liquid. With a body weight below 70 kilograms, 1 liter of solution is sufficient. If you weigh more than 85 kilograms, you can take up to 2 liters of liquid composition for cleansing the intestines. If your body weight is below 47 kilograms, before doing an enema at home, you should consult with a specialist to identify contraindications and choose the right amount of liquid.
Preparing for an enema
After the necessary Esmarch mug is purchased, the solution is prepared, you can proceed to the procedure. But, like any such manipulation, setting up a cleansing enema requires preparation.
- Prepare the instrument and fill it with fluid.
- Put the cap – clip on the tube and hang the mug at the desired height.
- Prepare the place for the cleansing manipulation (lay an oilcloth or a disposable diaper).
- Treat the tips with oil or Vaseline.
- Choose a comfortable position.
- Relax and tune in to positive emotions.
- After making sure that everything is prepared correctly, proceed to the procedure.
How to do an enema at home
So, we went directly to the process of conducting a cleansing enema using Esmarch’s mug. How to do it? Everything is very simple. The main thing is to follow simple rules and everything will work out.
* Two poses are suitable for conducting an enema: knee-elbow and on the side.
You need to choose the option that is convenient for you and easy to implement in the place where you decide to carry out the manipulation (we recommend the bathroom).
* Having taken the desired position and making sure that there is no discomfort, you should relax and insert the enema tip into the rectum with smooth circular movements (insertion depth 10-12 cm).
! The tip is inserted: the first 4 centimeters towards the umbilical fossa, the rest of the length is parallel to the coccyx.
* Then you need to release the clamp and clear the path for the liquid.
* During the procedure, you should breathe deeply and evenly. Unpleasant sensations are smoothed out by simple circular movements in the abdomen, performed with the palm of your hand. If pain occurs, the pressure of the fluid supply should be reduced.
* After filling the intestines with the entire volume of liquid, the tip should be removed. This should be done carefully, in a smooth movement, without jerking.
* Keep the liquid in the intestines should be possible up to 15 minutes (at least 5 minutes).
* While waiting, you can try to walk, lie on your stomach or, if this is not possible, you should remain in a comfortable position (on your side).
* After 15 minutes, you should empty your bowels.
If two enemas are scheduled, the interval between treatments 1 and 2 should be at least 60 minutes. The second time you can do an enema only on condition that the intestines are completely empty from the composition of the last enema. It is also important to pay attention to your own well-being. Deterioration of the condition is a signal that it is better not to carry out the second procedure.
Rules for deep cleansing with an enema
If it is necessary to carry out a deep cleansing of the intestines up to the caecum itself, the procedure should be performed a little differently.
* In this case, the enema is carried out in a pose on all fours.
* The tip is inserted to a depth of about 15-20 cm.
* After the introduction of the liquid, you should lie on your back and raise the pelvis by 15–20 cm.
* The best option is to rise to your shoulders and throw your legs behind your head and fix the pose for 40-60 seconds.
* In parallel, you should retract the abdomen, tighten and relax the press.
* Next, you need to smoothly move into the “lying on the right side” position. In this position, you need to stay for 15 minutes.
* As soon as the urge to defecate intensifies, then it is time to empty the intestines.
* If the urge does not increase, you should calmly walk around and wait for this moment.
Deep washing is done only after a natural bowel movement. Otherwise, the procedure has low efficiency.
Possible problems and solutions
Before doing an enema at home, you should make sure that you have provided for everything several times. But in any case, unforeseen problems may arise. You should not be afraid and even more so panic. Read the following rules, which may help in a particular case.
- If you feel pain, reduce the fluid flow.
- Make sure before starting the procedure that the water has a temperature close to that which is typical for the human body.
- Do not use liquid with temperatures below 20 and above 40 degrees.
- Lubricate the handpiece thoroughly with olive oil or petroleum jelly.
- The enema tip should always be inserted smoothly, it must be removed with the same smooth movements.
- Do not press or make sudden movements when manipulating the tip.
- Practice regular bowel cleansing first, and only with experience can you try the deep bowel lavage.
- Manage your muscles in the process. Relax them when you need to, and keep them in good shape when necessary.
- It is important to keep calm and positive emotions throughout the procedure.
- Light massage movements in the abdomen and deep breathing will help reduce pain.
- Severe pain and discomfort indicates that you are doing something wrong or there are hidden contraindications to the procedure. In this case, you should stop and analyze the options.
- Before performing a bowel cleansing with an enema, empty the bowels naturally.
These and other rules will help you complete the procedure without problems and consequences. If you have any questions, you should ask them to experienced practitioners.