Horsetail Field: Probably, many, walking through the vast fields of our vast Motherland, noticed on their way an attention-grabbing plant that looks like a small Christmas tree. And few people thought, or perhaps did not even guess, that the healing properties of the horsetail are very important for human health and are applicable both for treatment and prevention against various kinds of diseases.
Last Updated: October 3, 2022 (A few hours ago…)
Indeed, in truth, the field horsetail is a plant unique in its benefits, possessing a huge amount of macro- and microelements useful for the human body, especially rich in silicon, which is necessary for full life, in particular for the correct course of the metabolic process. But not only is the field horsetail useful for this, its healing properties are very diverse.
There are contraindications, a specialist consultation is required
Horsetail: medicinal properties
Field horsetail is generally recognized and successfully used in both traditional and folk medicine.
Due to the high content of ascorbic acid (vitamin C), it is very effectively used as a general tonic, as well as to improve the performance of human immunity.
Horsetail has healing properties in the treatment of diseases of the upper respiratory tract, as well as:
- It has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory properties, therefore it is effective in the treatment of influenza, acute respiratory viral infections, acute respiratory infections, colds.
- It has a thinning and excreting phlegm, antitussive effects, which greatly facilitates and improves respiratory processes.
- Strengthens the process of perspiration, which has a positive effect in the treatment of colds.
- It is a mild antipyretic agent, which improves the general condition of the human body during the period of illness.
But the medicinal properties of horsetail do not end there. Due to the rich composition of nutrients such as glucose, carotene, mineral salts, organic acids (silicic, linoleic, cinchona, oxalic, malic and others), pectin, fatty and essential oils, flavonoids (which have a beneficial effect on the human body), the use of horsetail is carried out to obtain the following effects important for human health:
- It has a beneficial and healing effect on the gastrointestinal tract system.
- It has a beneficial effect on the endocrine system (especially in men).
- Fights against helminthic invasions, destroying both adults and their larvae.
- Affects slight weight loss.
- It removes lead salts from the body.
- Lowers blood pressure gently.
- It has a diuretic effect, activating the work of the urinary system, which helps to reduce swelling and remove pathogenic microbes from the body.
- Increases the efficiency of the immune system, which in turn increases the body’s resistance to various diseases.
- Prevents the appearance of stones.
- Reduces pain syndromes in the musculoskeletal system, relieving inflammation.
- With the help of rinsing, relieves inflammation in the oral cavity, eliminating diseases of the mouth and throat, is effective for hoarseness.
- Strengthens the skeletal system, making bones stronger.
- Improves the process of activity of the central nervous system and heart, as well as the general condition of the walls of blood vessels and connective tissues.
- Reduces the amount of sugar in the blood.
- Eliminates edema associated with heart and kidney failure.
- It is a hemostatic agent.
In cosmetology, the field horsetail has also found its miraculous application. After rinsing the hair after shampooing with a warm decoction of horsetail, not only will give the hair a beautiful, healthy, shiny look, protect the ends from delamination and restore the damaged structure, but also strengthen the hair follicles, which will help prevent hair loss and premature baldness.
Like any other herb, horsetail has contraindications for use. Therefore, it is strongly discouraged to take it uncontrollably, without agreement with a specialist doctor.
Do not use horsetail decoction internally if you have the following diseases:
- Allergic reactions;
- Lack of potassium in the body;
- Nephritis and other severe kidney diseases;
- Low blood pressure (chronic hypotension);
- Chronic constipation.
Even in the absence of the above diseases, horsetail should not be used or used with extreme caution and only on the recommendation of the attending physician , if there are the following contraindications:
- Individual intolerance;
Collecting herbs with horsetail
In the absence of chronic diseases, as well as individual contraindications, you can prepare various healing decoctions that will enhance and help accelerate the healing effects of herbal preparations:
Horsetail, coltsfoot, licorice root.
The combination of these three plants is aimed at prophylactic and healing actions in diseases of the upper respiratory tract, as well as colds, since they have sputum, anti-inflammatory, diuretic effects, etc.
Field horsetail, raspberry leaf, chamomile (pharmaceutical) medicinal.
This miraculous collection has such effective actions as bactericidal, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, wound healing when rinsing the mouth and throat, etc.
Field horsetail, birch leaves, chamomile (pharmaceutical) medicinal.
The herbal collection of these three amazing plants has such effects as antibacterial, diuretic, diaphoretic, anti-inflammatory, wound healing, etc.
Field horsetail, bearberry, birch leaf.
These three healing miracle herbs have a strong diuretic effect.
Field horsetail, evading peony, birch leaf, buckthorn bark.
This collection, consisting of four amazing plants, has an invaluable effect on removing salts from the body and prevents the occurrence of serious diseases such as kidney stones, joint diseases, fragility of bones, etc.
Collection of herbs
The general course of using a decoction of field horsetail is not more than one month, but in any case, the duration of taking this medicinal herb should be determined only by a specialist doctor.
Horsetail tea: benefits
As mentioned above, field horsetail is fraught with many medicinal properties, so tea made from it will be of great benefit to the human body: both therapeutic and prophylactic. For example, in the treatment of helminthic invasions, as well as in their prevention.
The use of horsetail is especially useful during the period of seasonal diseases, as well as in the autumn-winter period, when human immunity needs additional support.
There are generally accepted norms for the preparation of a healing drink from field horsetail
To do this, you need 2 tablespoons of horsetail, pour 200 ml of hot water, wrap it with a towel and let it brew for 30-40 minutes. The same broth can be made in a thermos.
Since the horsetail has practically no aromatic nuances, it can be mixed with a small amount of herbs such as meadowsweet (meadowsweet) or dried jasmine flowers. Such combinations of herbs useful for the human body will make the hot drink not only aromatic and useful, but also give the tea drinking process a special, pleasant atmosphere.
We draw your attention to the fact that it is advisable to eliminate any problematic at three levels: physical, energetic and spiritual . The recipes contained in the article are not a guarantee of recovery. The information provided should be considered as helpful (based on the experience of traditional and modern medicine, the multifaceted action of herbal remedies), but not as a guarantee.