Pelargonium or fragrant geranium or Scented Geranium– for many people, this is a favorite flower that has successfully taken root on their home windowsills. This perennial plant is almost not whimsical, does not require special attention to itself, but pleases with its bright colors and delicate aromas that this wonderful flower exudes. Fragrant geranium is a generally recognized plant in many countries of our planet, it has a large number of varieties and names.
For example, in Bulgaria it is called “Health Resort”, in England “Zhuravelnik”, in Germany “Stork’s Tail”, but geranium received its most affectionate name in Russia, where it is gently and lovingly called “Crane”. This beautiful plant not only has an extensive palette of bright colors in its flowers, but, depending on the variety, exudes different aromas. Geranium can delight you with a variety of smells – orange, ginger.
there are contraindications, consultation with a specialist is required
Last Updated: January 20, 2022 (A few hours ago…)
In this article, we will focus on fragrant geranium, which has medicinal properties and a healing aroma. Due to the large amount of essential oils, fragrant geranium not only fills the room with a pleasant smell, but also cleans the air from pathogens. In addition, the leaves of fragrant geranium, placed in the closet, will protect and eliminate the appearance of moths and their larvae.
This miraculous plant has found its wide application in folk medicine and is used in different countries of the world. Almost all parts of fragrant geranium have healing properties, but in most cases, only leaves are used, from which decoctions, compresses, lotions, aromatic oils are made. If you do not have this wonderful plant at home, then you can purchase both dry raw materials and aromatic geranium fragrant oil in pharmacy retail chains in the public domain.
Scented geranium medicinal properties
This wonderful plant contains in its delicate leaves a rich list of biochemical components, vitamins, trace elements, which gives fragrant geranium the ability to cope with various diseases and ailments.
Scented geranium contains a large number of beneficial nutrients – glucose, starch, organic acids, pectins, carbohydrates, fructose, flavonoids, essential oils and much more. It is also rich in macro and micronutrients.
Useful properties of fragrant geranium
- It has a beneficial effect on the work of the gastrointestinal tract, restores the digestion process
- Increases appetite
- Eliminates intestinal disorders, relieves bouts of diarrhea, dysentery
- It has disinfecting, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial properties, therefore it is effective in the treatment of influenza, acute respiratory viral infections, acute respiratory infections, colds
- Facilitates and improves respiratory processes in diseases of the upper respiratory tract, removes phlegm
The healing properties of fragrant geranium
- Relieves headaches and migraines
- Has a mild diuretic effect
- Increases the efficiency and endurance of the body
- Lowers blood pressure
- Reduces blood sugar
- Relieves, with the help of rinsing, inflammation of the oral cavity and throat, eliminating diseases of the mouth and throat (tonsillitis, tonsillitis), soothes toothache
- Helps restore the integrity of the skin, healing burns, cuts, wounds, ulcers, relieves skin inflammation with dermatitis and eczema, eliminates itching
- Removes inflammation in acute and chronic otitis media
- Strengthens sleep, relieves insomnia
- Calms the central nervous system, relieves anxiety, nervous excitability, irritability
- Eliminates functional disorders of the cardiovascular system, normalizes heart function, relieves arrhythmia and tachycardia syndrome
- Effectively copes with inflammatory processes in intercostal neuralgia, osteochondrosis, radiculitis
Geranium fragrant contraindications
Due to the presence in the plant of a large amount of essential oils, as well as other chemical elements, the intake of fragrant geranium infusions can cause an allergic reaction and other undesirable consequences for the human body. Therefore, it must be understood that only with the approval of a specialist doctor, taking into account individual diseases and determining the personal dosage by the doctor, can the expected positive result be achieved.
Do not use fragrant geranium in the following cases:
- Allergic manifestations
- Bronchial asthma
- Hypotension (low blood pressure)
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, liver and kidneys
- Children under 12 years of age
- Individual intolerance and hypersensitivity
- Increased blood viscosity
- Thrombosis, thrombophlebitis
Infusion and decoction of fragrant geranium
Due to the fact that fragrant geranium contains a large number of chemical elements, it must be used with extreme caution. For example, when treating skin diseases, it is important to know that the pure sap of a plant, when it comes into contact with the skin, can cause severe burns and skin damage, therefore, in these cases, it is necessary to prepare a water-based infusion from the plant.
To use a medicinal plant for a specific disease, it is necessary to prepare infusions or decoctions, different in the number of ingredients. Therefore, before use, it is necessary to consult with the attending specialist doctor to prescribe a specific composition of ingredients, their amount and individual duration of use.
There are generally accepted norms for the preparation of a medicinal decoction from fragrant geranium:
- For internal use: cut 8 – 10 fresh geranium leaves and put in a thermos, pour 1 glass of hot water (just boiled), close the lid tightly and leave for 1 – 2 hours. Then strain the liquid and discard the raw materials.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of dry leaves into a container, pour 200 milliliters of (purified) water, boil in a water bath for 5 minutes, let it brew for 30 minutes. Then strain the liquid and discard the raw materials.
- For external use: Pour 2 tablespoons of dry raw materials of the aerial part of the plant (leaves, trunks) into a thermos, pour 1 glass of hot water (just boiled), close the lid tightly and leave for 2 hours. Then strain the liquid and discard the raw materials.
Also, complete information on the preparation of infusions for the treatment of specific diseases, indicating the required amount of ingredients and the frequency of use of the prepared potion, can be found in official information sources.
Cosmetologists also pay due attention to fragrant geranium, thanks to the large amount of vitamins, macro- and microelements, essential oils, the infusion from this plant is also effective in cosmetic applications. Freshly prepared cool infusion relieves unpleasant dry skin of the face, gradually removes fine wrinkles, gives the skin a beautiful, youthful appearance, restores its elasticity.
Culinary experts have also found a worthy use of fragrant geranium – a powder made from dried geranium leaves is added during baking to various confectionery products, which gives them a special, sophisticated aroma. If you combine together, powder from dry leaves of geranium and mint or lemon balm, and even add ground lemon zest, the aroma of baked goods will be simply magnificent.
Truly, this wonderful flower can rightly be called a home doctor.
We draw your attention to the fact that it is advisable to eliminate any problematic at three levels: physical, energetic and spiritual. The recipes contained in the article are not a guarantee of recovery. The information provided should be considered as capable of helping, based on the experience of traditional and modern medicine, the multifaceted action of herbal remedies, but not as a guarantee.
Before use, be sure to consult with a specialist (doctor)!