Black Currant Leaves: Gardeners who grow currant bushes on their backyards know that its leaves have long been famous for their beneficial properties. In addition to the fact that tea from black currant leaves has a special delicate and pleasant aroma, they contain a lot of vitamin C, which is simply necessary for the human body.
Probably, few people do not like black currant berries, because they are so tasty, aromatic and outwardly attractive. It is enough to look at a bunch of ripe berries, and immediately there is a desire to pick them and enjoy the amazing taste. Those who store for the winter know that there is nothing tastier than five-minute blackcurrant jam. And in dried and frozen form, this berry is in great demand.
Last Updated: January 20, 2022 (A few hours ago…)
But not only berries, but to a large extent also black currant leaves bring great benefits to the body.
There are contraindications, a specialist consultation is required
The healing properties of black currant leaves
The black currant leaf is distinguished by a rich content of useful biochemical components, but most of all it contains vitamin C, which is vital for humans. Perhaps no plant contains as much ascorbic acid as black currant.
A decoction of its leaves is used by both traditional and folk medicine for the prevention and treatment of many diseases. The generally accepted action of blackcurrant leaves is as follows:
- remove toxins and toxins from the human body, which prevents the appearance of serious illnesses and slows down the development of oncological diseases;
- have antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial properties, therefore they are effective for diseases of the upper respiratory tract, influenza, ARVI, acute respiratory infections, colds;
- have a tonic and restorative effect on the body, help relieve fatigue and restore strength;
- strengthen the immune system, which helps to increase the body’s resistance to various kinds of diseases.
The vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, B9, C, PP contained in the leaves of the plant, as well as macro- and microelements such as boron, iron, iodine, potassium, calcium, magnesium, copper, sodium, phosphorus, etc., make black currant leaf is unique, with great potential for curing many diseases, and have an effective effect on the human body, for example:
- normalize the functioning of the liver and kidneys;
- have a disinfecting and therapeutic effect in dysentery;
- gently reduce blood pressure;
- give the skin firmness and elasticity, which significantly rejuvenates it and improves its appearance;
- improve the work of the urinary system, relieve inflammation;
- strengthen the skeletal system, improve the performance of the musculoskeletal system;
- strengthen the heart muscle, improving the work of the cardiovascular system as a whole, make the walls of blood vessels strong and elastic;
- normalize the process of blood coagulation, which promotes rapid wound healing.
Lotions from a decoction of black currant leaves remove the manifestations of prickly heat in babies, eliminate diaper rash and other dermatological manifestations on the skin. In cosmetology, black currant leaf has also found its use: a decoction from its raw materials relieves skin inflammation at the cellular level, eliminates acne, and improves the general condition of the skin. It is not in vain that face and body creams are made on the basis of black currant leaves.
Rinsing your hair with a decoction of blackcurrant leaf after shampooing will give your hair a beautiful shine and healthy look.
Black currant leaf: contraindications
Blackcurrant leaf is safe enough for internal use, but still has contraindications. And, like any other herb, the black currant leaf should be treated with caution and be sure to consult a specialist doctor. Each person is individual in his own way, and his reaction to the use of the decoction is also individual. There are a number of diseases in which it is better not to take black currant leaves. These include:
- allergic reactions of a different nature;
- inflammatory processes in the duodenum;
- gastritis, stomach ulcer during an exacerbation;
- individual intolerance;
- increased gastric acidity;
- increased blood clotting;
Pregnant, breastfeeding women should consult a gynecologist and pediatrician before using a decoction of blackcurrant leaves.
Useful Herbs with Black Currant Leaf
Collecting from these plants will help improve the psycho-emotional state, strengthen sleep, have a calming effect on the nervous system and improve mood.
Black currant leaf, raspberry leaf, coltsfoot.
The combination of these three plants will have an antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial effect, will be useful for the prevention and treatment of diseases of the upper respiratory tract, and will help remove phlegm.
Leaves of black currant and birch.
This collection will improve the functioning of the urinary system, help relieve edema, will have an effective antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial effect, etc.
Black currant leaf, echinacea, licorice root.
This highly effective collection is aimed at strengthening the immune system, treating the upper respiratory tract, and at the same time will have antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial effects, etc.
Black currant leaf, peppermint.
Blackcurrant leaf tea
Those who love aromatic herbal drinks will certainly appreciate tea made from black currant leaves. After all, the benefits of such tea are essential. The leaf of this wonderful shrub has a delicate aroma, reminiscent of the forest smells of Mother Nature. Especially in winter, when nature is at rest, many people lack the sweet fragrance of flowers, delicate smells of spring and summer. Therefore, connoisseurs of herbal drinks, in the absence of the above contraindications, can combine black currant leaves with other herbs familiar to use and enjoy tea with a delicate, fragrant aroma.
To prepare tea, four tablespoons of crushed leaves are poured into a thermos, poured with 500 milliliters of hot water, tightly closed with a lid and infused for two hours.
Freshly harvested young blackcurrant leaves have also won great acclaim in cooking, and can be added to fruit cocktails and salads.
We draw your attention to the fact that it is advisable to eliminate any problem at three levels: physical, energetic and spiritual. The recipes contained in the article are not a guarantee of recovery. The information provided on the multifaceted action of herbal remedies, based on the experience of traditional and modern medicine, should be considered as helping, but not as a panacea.