Sunny grapefruit is a citrus fruit that is very beneficial to health. Only freshly squeezed grapefruit juice can be compared with it. This drink has all the properties of the original product. As you know, vitamins and minerals obtained from freshly squeezed juices are absorbed faster and easier. This is how our complex organism works. And before you rejoice in the usefulness, taste and availability of grapefruit juice, let’s take a closer look at its properties and features.
Grapefruit juice: composition
What attracts attention of this sweet-sour drink with a slight bitterness and a characteristic citrus aroma? The first thing to look out for is the composition! The composition of grapefruit juice obtained by direct extraction contains a significant amount of nutrients. These are vitamins, minerals, and bioactive compounds. It is worth highlighting the following substances that make up grapefruit juice:
- vitamins A, B, E;
- minerals: potassium, calcium, phosphorus, iron;
- alkaloid quinine;
- the flavonoid naringin;
- antioxidant lycopene;
- alimentary fiber;
- fructose and sucrose.
Particular attention should be paid to substances such as quinine and naringin. They are powerful natural antibiotics and antifungal agents that prevent infection and inflammation.
Of no less interest is the content of lycopene in the product in question. This antioxidant has an active antitumor effect, preventing the development of both benign and malignant processes.
Of course, not only these substances saturate the benefits of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice. Vitamin and mineral composition and useful dietary fiber also have a beneficial effect on the body.
Energy value per 100 grams of product:
- proteins 0.8 grams,
- fat 0.2 grams,
- carbohydrates 8.7 grams.
The total amount of calories is 39.8 kcal.
As can be seen from the composition and calorie content, this drink is rich in nutrients and does not have an excess of fats or carbohydrates. This is a completely safe and even healthy product for the figure. However, the benefits don’t end there.
Grapefruit juice: benefits
It is worth saying that the benefits of this drink are possible when consumed fresh. Only freshly squeezed grapefruit juice can be considered as a vitamin and mineral supplement to the diet. Packaged juices, drinks in glass – all this is of no interest from the point of view of healthy nutrition. Therefore, we are considering the benefits of freshly squeezed juice.
The benefits of grapefruit juice are varied.
The vitamin composition of this drink is rich in substances that can significantly support the immune system. Grapefruit juice is a good remedy to protect the body during seasonal flu and colds. Also, this drink is worth drinking for recovery after a long and / or serious illness.
Liver and kidney
A well-known property of grapefruit juice is to dissolve non-calcified stones in the gallbladder and kidneys, and also to prevent their appearance. Also, this drink cleanses the body of toxins and toxins, which very well helps to maintain the health of the two most important organ systems.
Reduces bad cholesterol and blood sugar
Grapefruit juice contains pectin, which is excellent at cleansing blood vessels of bad cholesterol. It has been proven that the composition of grapefruit juice contains substances that can prevent the development of insulin resistance in cells. This means that this product protects against the development of type 2 diabetes.
Preservation of figure and youth
Grapefruit juice contains substances that promote the breakdown of adipose tissue. Also, this drink removes excess fluid and is considered a good remedy for cellulite. Regularly including this drink in your own diet, you can notice the effect of rejuvenating and improving skin color.
Overall benefits of the drink
It is important to highlight the beneficial properties of grapefruit juice. Indeed, in addition to the targeted action on certain groups of organs, this drink produces many positive effects. Freshly squeezed grapefruit juice:
- relieves pain and inflammation;
- protects mucous membranes from the introduction of infectious agents;
- strengthens tooth enamel;
- enhances the body’s defense against bacterial, fungal, viral infections;
- improves the work of the genitourinary system;
- improves appetite;
- tones and refreshes;
- charges with positive energy;
- gives strength.
From all sides, this drink is good for the body! However, there are situations in which it is better to stop drinking freshly squeezed grapefruit juice.
Grapefruit juice: harm and contraindications
It is important to understand that we have a natural freshly squeezed juice based on citrus fruits. First of all, such a product is a strong allergen. Also, grapefruit juice can irritate the mucous membranes and cause negative reactions from the gastrointestinal tract, genitourinary system (exacerbation of cystitis). This drink can cause bloating and flatulence. Grapefruit can cause heartburn, nausea, and vomiting. But any negative reaction is most often explained by the presence of contraindications or excessive use of juice.
Check out the contraindications:
- peptic ulcer and duodenal ulcer, gastritis;
- pancreatitis, duodenitis, cholelithiasis;
- allergy to citrus fruits;
- acute period of poisoning;
- intestinal disorder of an infectious nature;
- 3rd trimester of pregnancy, 1-2 trimester after consultation with the doctor;
- children under 3 years old;
- breastfeeding period;
- old age with caution;
- hepatitis and other acute liver diseases.
Any chronic ailments, as well as acute conditions, can impose a temporary or permanent restriction on the use of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice. Therefore, be sure to consult with a specialist about the permissibility of including this drink in the diet, as well as the permitted standards.
How to drink grapefruit juice properly
In order for freshly squeezed grapefruit juice to really be beneficial for the body, it must be consumed correctly.
There are a number of simple recommendations:
- Drink this drink immediately after preparation. All its benefits disappear after 15-20 minutes after cooking. Later, the freshness of the juice is also lost. Therefore, you do not need to prepare a drink for future use. It is enough to prepare a glass and drink it right away.
- You can drink grapefruit juice chilled, but it is important that the cooling process does not take more than 10 minutes. Better to drink juice at room temperature or add ice to the drink.
- Do not drink juice on an empty stomach! It contains a lot of ascorbic acid, which irritates the mucous membranes. It is best to drink grapefruit juice after breakfast, during lunch or dinner. It is not recommended to drink the drink before bedtime, as it has an invigorating effect.
- It is not recommended for adults to drink more than 200-250 grams of juice per day, and for children from 3 years old – no more than 100-120 grams.
- For those with sensitive mucous membranes and intestines, it is recommended to dilute natural juice with clean drinking water in a 1: 1 or 1: 2 ratio.
- Grapefruit juice is a little sour. For its sweetness, you can add natural honey. But it’s better to do without it. A product in its natural form with a minimum amount of additives is always healthy and tasty.
- For the first time, it is better to try natural freshly squeezed grapefruit juice with caution. Children are given such drinks no more than 1 teaspoon, and adults should not try more than 20-50 grams for the first time.
Sunny grapefruit is a natural health product. And the juice from this citrus has a very attractive and refreshing taste. Drink freshly squeezed grapefruit juice only for health!